Developing breasts as a male can make your chest appear feminine, which can leave you feeling self-conscious and unhappy with the appearance of your body. Dr. Schwartz understands that having a masculine and defined chest contour is important for men’s self-confidence and the overall look of their bodies. At the Beverly Hills Breast Institute, we can help our gynecomastia patients feel more comfortable and confident in their appearance.
DR. SCHWARTZ'S EXPERIENCE WITH BREAST TISSUE REMOVAL
Dr. Schwartz is one of the foremost leaders in breast surgeries in the United States. One of his specialties is mastectomy, which uses techniques similar to male breast reduction surgery. Depending on the amount of excess tissue you have and what your goals are, Dr. Schwartz may be able to use minimally invasive techniques to give you the masculine contour you’re looking for.
WHAT MALE BREAST REDUCTION CAN DO FOR YOU
Dr. Schwartz’s primary focus in tissue removal is to ensure that the chest maintains a natural contour. The result is a natural-looking masculine chest that you could have been born with.
By removing the breast tissue and surrounding glands, Dr. Schwartz can sculpt a more masculine chest appearance. He can build out pectoral definition and remove the soft, feminine look caused by excess breast tissue.
Restore Chest Symmetry
Various factors can impact the symmetry of your chest. The placement of the areolas may be asymmetrical, or one side of the chest may have more tissue accumulation than the other. By treating both sides of the breasts, Dr. Schwartz can restore a balanced appearance.
MALE BREAST REDUCTION
Schwartz Gynecomastia Classification
- Type I – Puffy nipple appearance, with tissue accumulation under the areola complex. The nipple maintains a natural placement above the pecs.
- Type II – Puffy nipple appearance, but the tissue occurs across the breast fold. The nipple maintains a natural placement above the pecs.
- Type III – The excess tissue sits below the chest fold, and the nipple-areola complex sits below the pectoral muscle.
- Type IV – Excess fat extends back into the armpit, and the nipple-areola complex shifts lower on the chest.
- Type V – A significant portion of tissue extends back into the armpit, and the nipple-areola complex shifts lower on the chest.
- Type VI – Laxity of the chest skin. Tissue extends as rolls onto the back. The nipple-areola complex sits significantly low on the chest.
- Keyhole incisions are ideal for men with mild gynecomastia and minimal excess skin. A singular incision around the areola is used to remove breast tissue.
- Double incisions help treat patients with moderate amounts of tissue accumulation and allow for the repositioning of the nipple-areola complex without extensive scarring.
- Inverted-T incisions are best for men with significant amounts of tissue. An incision is created around the areola, vertically down the lower breast tissue, and across the natural crease.
- Liposuction is used to remove excess fat from the chest that cannot easily be removed through direct excision.
- With liposuction, Dr. Schwartz can better contour along the chest to ensure he achieves the masculine definition you desire.
- Dr. Schwartz uses the same incisions used for tissue removal to perform liposuction, which prevents any additional, unnecessary scarring.
- The nipple-areola complex can be reshaped to address the issue of puffy nipples.
- The nipple-areola complex can be placed to have more natural positioning on the chest.
- The size of the areola can be reduced to have a more masculine appearance.
BREAST AUGMENTATION DETAILS
(click to expand)
Your consultation with Dr. Schwartz is the most important step in your breast journey. During your consultation, VECTRA® 3D imaging provides Dr. Schwartz with precise, detailed information about your breast size and tissue distribution. Implant simulators are used during your consultation to help you better visualize your potential results. Additionally, you and Dr. Schwartz will discuss your aesthetic goals and review your medical history to ensure that you are healthy and a good candidate for treatment.
During surgery, Dr. Schwartz uses a gentle type of anesthesia known as TIVA (total intravenous anesthesia). Using only IV medications, you will be asleep but more like when you sleep at nighttime. This adequate state of anesthesia does not require a breathing tube or anesthetic gases; you are essentially asleep for the duration of the procedure but breathing on your own.
TIVA medications wear off quickly and are eliminated from your body within hours of surgery. This results in a shorter time in the recovery room as well as an overall smoother experience. TIVA is also associated with less or sometimes no nausea or vomiting; in fact, the IV medication has an anti-nausea effect. You will likely feel good enough to go out for dinner the night after your surgery.
Dr. Jaime Schwartz has developed a combination of techniques called Rapid Recovery™ that accelerates the recovery process and helps minimize discomfort after male breast reduction surgery. In addition to the anesthesia technique (TIVA), Dr. Schwartz may inject BOTOX® into the muscles of the chest prior to surgery and use EXPAREL® (a long-acting local anesthetic) in the muscles during surgery to produce postsurgical analgesia. Most of our patients take only TYLENOL® after their male breast reduction procedure.
Typically, patients return to work after one week and may be able to resume some exercise after four weeks and full exercise at six weeks.
At the Beverly Hills Breast Institute, we pride ourselves on our state-of-the-art protocols to minimize discomfort, and you will feel the support from Dr. Schwartz’s nurses and team, which will be available to you 24/7 after your procedure. As you and Dr. Schwartz develop your plan of treatment together, he will give you precise information on what to expect in terms of your recovery.
Dr. Schwartz is a leading scar expert who has published journal articles on this subject and has been the principal investigator for an FDA clinical trial studying breast scars and their healing and improvement. He has developed and utilizes many methods to relieve tension on the incisions, which can potentially reduce the visibility of scars. While scar formation is natural and based on your ability to heal, most scars tend to fade over time.
DR. JAIME SCHWARTZ’S RESULTS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You should be in good health and have realistic expectations about your results. Dr. Schwartz will evaluate your chest concerns and make a recommendation as to the best course of treatment.
While there’s always a risk of losing nipple sensation, Dr. Schwartz often has success in preserving it. However, this is not important to all patients, so if this is a concern, you should discuss it during your consultation with Dr. Schwartz.
Dr. Schwartz may remove all forms of breast tissue, including glandular tissue, fat tissue, and skin to achieve your desired goals.